Saturday, October 18, 2008

KNIT & PURL



"If the knitter is weary the baby will have no new bonnet"
Irish Proverb

There is satisfaction in accomplishments, but the craft must first be learned. It has been one of my goals in this new season of retirement to learn the art of knitting, and thanks to the help of a dear friend, I have two basic stitches down pat. After weeks of practicing those knit and purl stitches and lots of unravelling and casting on again and again, it was time to venture into a real project. It really has become an enjoyable pastime as a little pear green pram blanket has stealthily emerged before my eyes.


 I have fond memories of watching my mother's knitting needles and hearing the click, click, as socks and mittens, sweaters and bonnets, and colourful afgans were birthed out of endless hours of labour. As I am knitting little blankets for two grandbabies expected in the next few months I am reminded again and again of my creator God, and his amazing skill at knitting. 

" For you created my inmost being;
 you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
Psalm 139: 14- 16

What a precious pink bundle of God's creativity that arrived in our daughter's family 8 weeks ago.
 We are praying daily for the safe and healthy arrival of two new grandsons ..... 
the work of 'His hands.'


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How beautiful are the hands that prduced that lovely blanket.