Thursday, July 30, 2009

SUMMER REFRESHMENT


SUMMER REFRESHMENTS


The garden drinks greedily from each pulsating spray

washing back and forth in the cool of day’s dawn.


Succulent hostas gather glistening droplets,

cupping them gently to offer a drink to a hovering hummingbird.

Parched, petite blossoms hiding in the shade of heart-shaped leaves

lap eagerly from the cool rivulets sliding down their creases

before this oasis evaporates in the warming sun.


Beneath steaming, musty soil,

hair like roots suck and draw deeply the moisture

left behind from yesterday’s thunder shower,

saturating stems that hope to hold flower heads high

as the sun intensifies and beats down relentlessly.


Morning by morning you hear my prayer O God,

and I wait expectantly for your new mercies to flow over me:

cleansing, refreshing, filling,

quenching my thirsty soul with the water of life.


In the blistering heat of the day

I’ll sip and savour sweet iced tea,

replenishing my body, an earthen vessel

willing to share a cup of cold water in His name.


trudy - 2009


No comments: