Sunday, September 6, 2009

SUMMER SNIPPETS


It's Labour Day Weekend, and with that comes the thought that summer holidays are over, and in just two days the children will be spiffed up for the first day of school. Now for me ... well summer fun can continue through September as it often stays nice and warm even though today the rain clouds are hanging like soggy diapers, and spilling over like watering cans! So, before I begin thinking of fall leaves and Thanksgiving I want to remember some of the fun days we had this summer with our eight grand kids. It's a good thing that all the following events were spread over many weeks because the energy created and expended by these lovable kiddles was for us as grandparents exhilarating in the moment and absolutely exhausting after the fact.

" If becoming a grandmother was only a matter of choice, I should advise everyone of you straight away to become one. There is no fun for older people like it!
Hannah Whithall Smith

Let the fun begin!

Early in summer before the fire ban.

Staying cool.

OOOOO ....

Sneaking some raspberries.

Building and painting a West Jet replica.

Whee!

Picnic lunch in the old tree fort.

Whatever possessed me to climb the rickety ladder?
What we won't do for grandchildren!

Taking turns over and over again.

A driveway full of sharks.

Just hanging out.

Little sprinkles of water make everyone happy on a hot day.

The BIG swing.

How did the maple tree and this boy grow so tall?

Smooth river rocks collected at the creek ...

becoming masterpieces...

to take home at the end of the day for mommies garden.

A crazy water ball gets everyone soaked.

At the waterfall in the park, just a hike over the hill.
Here their boundless energy had to take a rest as the pool behind is very deep.

These cute quotes were sent to me in an e-mail forward this week.
When my grandson asked me how old I was, I teasingly replied, "I'm not sure " "Look in your underwear, Grandpa," he advised, "mine says I'm 4 to 6."

A grandmother was telling her little granddaughter what her own childhood was like: "We used to skate outside on a pond; I had a swing made from a tire; it hung from a tree in our front yard. We rode our pony. We picked wild raspberries in the woods." The little girl was wide-eyed, taking this all in. At last she said, "I sure wish I'd gotten to know you sooner!"

As long as I have the energy, I will keep dreaming up fun activities to make memories for our wonderful grandchildren.

1 comment:

Anneliese said...

It looks like you had so much fun! I agree with you that being grandparents is wonderful!