Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A TRIBUTE

Today, on the day of her memorial service, I want to give a tribute to a wonderful lady who went to be with her Lord and Saviour this past week at the age of 93.

HELEN KERBY
1998

Helen came into my life in 1971 when I was just a new bride in a new town, far away from my family. Helen and her dear husband Bill moved into town soon after us, and although they were old enough to be our parents we soon became close friends. In fact, that friendship felt more like family as they emotionally adopted us and our four children, as they came along in subsequent years. We spent ten memorable years in that little town before we and the Kerby's moved on, and I can only say thanks to God that he sovereignly brought us together in a mutual loving relationship.

How can I describe Helen?

... she was a physical and spiritual mentor to me.
... she opened her heart and home to us.
... she was Mrs. Hospitality plus.
... she was a Godly woman, full of grace and charm.
... she shared delicious meals with us.
... she could bake up a storm, and was ready to share it.
... she showed me how to make jam and
we canned fruits and vegetables together.
... she unselfishly gave of her time to others.
... sometimes she would surprise us with a baby sitting night.
... she loved flowers as I do now.
... she loved our kids to bits, known to them as Auntelen.
... she and Bill shared in Bible study with us.
... Helen exemplified the fruit of the spirit;
love, joy, peace,
patience, kindness, faithfulness,
gentleness, self-control.
... Helen loved Jesus.

My life is richer as a result of knowing Helen.
My heart grieves along with her family, but I know we all celebrate a life lived for Jesus, and now she is in His presence, rejoicing with the angels. Someday there will be a grand reunion.




No comments: