Wednesday, October 28, 2009

WALKING TRAILS

We took advantage of another lovely Autumn day to discover some walking trails very near our home. With sketchy details of the route and not knowing the distance we decided to set out and explore the scenic path that was bordered by a golf course to the east and a pine forest to the west. There were lots of rest stops as just another detail or scenic vista captured my attention resulting in the following photos. Walking is the best exercise - free, invigorating, fresh, and at a pace that I can appreciate all of nature's grandeur and detail. A new trail is always full of adventure, making choices at Y's in the path, and filled with mystery as you never know what's ahead.





An abandoned water flume for irrigation from early pioneering days ran along side the trail.


A gate beside the trail?


I wonder how many years it took to create this situation.


A valley and pond vista.



Amazing find along the path! I love heart rocks, but this one was well embedded in the soil so I left it for other walkers to enjoy.


A glimpse of the golf course.


Almost back to our car after a 105 minute walk. Kind of looks like we ended up in Tuscany.


A rosy feast for the eyes to distract my attention from my weary legs.

I love the metaphor of my relationship with God being a lifetime walk.

"Blessed are those whose strength in in you (God), who have set their hearts on pilgrimage. They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion." Psalm 84:5,7

" What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8

I have discovered a walking theme through the Bible, from the beginning where God walked in the garden with Adam, to the end of time when those who know Jesus as their Saviour will walk in his new creation by the light of His glory. And in between that great span of time are numerous stories of people who walked with God and wonderful truths to guide me on my own pilgrimage.

Some excerpts from Psalm 119 which I read often to remind myself that walking with God is the only way to get through this journey of life:
" You're blessed when you stay on the course, walking steadily on the road revealed by God ... I'm a stranger in these parts; give me close directions ... I'll stride freely through wide open spaces as I look for your truth and wisdom ... I set your instructions to music and sing them as I walk this pilgrim way ... let me live whole and holy, soul and body, so I can always walk with my head held high ... And should I wander off like a lost sheep - seek me! I'll recognize the sound of your voice."



No comments: