Thursday, November 21, 2013

POSTCARDS from POMPEII

I can't believe I forgot these postcards on my desk that should have been posted a few days ago, so bear with me as I backtrack to Southern Italy again to tell you about Pompeii.
I remember being fascinated with the story of Pompeii in my elementary school days, never dreaming that one day I would walk through the excavated ruins. 
Pompeii was founded in the 7th or 6th century BC and over many eras became an important port city of about 20,000 inhabitants who were involved with trade, agriculture, tourism, every day life, and entertainment. In 79 AD the sky came crashing down on Pompeii as Mount Vesuvius blew her top and buried everything with 25 meters of ash and pumice. It was a city forgotten over time until 1500 years later when excavators began to unearth a city filled with mosaics, statues, frescos, pottery, household utensils. and most amazingly the stone people frozen in their last actions. My day was filled with surreal moments as I tried to imagine ordinary life amongst all these ruins of antiquity.










One of several amphitheaters with a statue of Hercules at the gate.




A typical street with raised stones to cross the street above the sewer water. Spaces between the stones allowed for the wheels of carts to pass through.


A shopping area for small businesses


A subdivision of homes














The stone people




Temple of Jupiter with
 Mount Vesuvius in the background


















Windows into the past






No comments: