Monday, September 3, 2018

SUMMER SERIES: END OF SUMMER VACATION ?

Labour Day has become known as the unofficial end of summer vacation as it is the time schools reopen, but most people do not consider the roots or meaning of the day. It is a "national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well being of our country." (Wikipedia) 
It has been 10 years since I retired from working outside of the home and so a holiday does not always seem different from any other day, but as I began my usual Monday laundry routine I checked myself and decided to take most of the day off. Feeling energized I suggested a hike along a different section of the Mission Creek trail east of our usual neighbourhood walk, which took us along a winding path through a cedar forest, along the rippling creek, past a swampy trout pond, over several bridges and then up 115 stairs to grasslands at which point I had already hiked more than I have in a long time and it was time to turn back. 
















A Juniper tree




Happy to have felt healthy enough to challenge my body.


Fun to spot a new flower, the Himalayan Balsam


A little hint of the season we are entering.

Summer vacation may be over for our grandkids 
but we will keep enjoying more warm sunny days and maybe more hikes
 until summer is officially over. 
























No comments: