Thursday, February 28, 2019

SEASIDE TOWNS IN MEXICO


Sunday January 27th in Bucerias


We took the local bus from our resort to Bucerias, a town in the Riviera Nayarit with a typical main square, a church, oceanside restaurants and rows of vendors all vieing  for attention to strike up a bargain. It was Sunday and as I stepped off the bus I heard the church bells announcing the beginning of worship which became obvious by the sweet sound of corporate singing as we stood at the open door of the church. What a nice welcome on this day that was special besides being Sunday it was my birthday, and we were meeting my sister and her husband who met us there from Puerto Vallarta. 




A grand reunion of visiting and eating punctuated with lots of laughs


Enjoying the best fish tacos on the beach.
Always the photographer and rarely in the photo but I found
a little trick to remind myself that I was there.



An excursion to Sayulita

A colourful village north of our resort where we walked the beautiful seashore, scanned the sand for shells, watched aspiring surfers ride the waves, and warded off the persistent vendors who came right to our lunch table on the sand.







How could I resist buying from this sweet little fellow who was
helping his mama sell these cute bobble head wooden animals.










The courtyard of a  Grandma's Casa










Doorways always invite a photo op.


La Cruz Sunday market 

The local bus took us along the snaking route beside the ocean to La Cruz, about 15 minutes from our resort. The La Cruz Sunday market is the happening place for visitors from all over the area with a feast for the eyes through the maze of market stalls and a strong resolve to shop wisely.  I could have filled pages with photos displaying the beauty of the artisan crafts, so colourful and packed with intricate details. We walked along the marina and concluded that by the sizes of the pleasure boats there must also be money to shop in the market as well.  A place to revisit one day, and as I said, feast my eyes and also to take the time to savour the market delicacies. My body was weary and the sun was growing hotter so back on the bus where there was standing room only and a ride of terror as we careened around one curve after another. All part of experiencing Mexico.








Local fellows waiting for their 'catch of the day'

Time to sit and enjoy some Mexican musicians

This is where I left my pesos in exchange for a lovely hand loomed tablecloth.
Images of the  colourful wares crafted by the beautiful people of Mexico
will remain embedded in my memory. 






No comments: