Saturday, February 28, 2009

HEART ROCKS

Ever since I was a young child I have enjoyed collecting shells and rocks at the seashore. Since I grew up so near to the ocean, the treasures of tiny pink shells, complete butterfly clam shells, mussel shells, and white sand dollars were carried home, bleached, sorted and lined up, painted and admired till summer's end when they would be tossed, and the collecting tradition repeated again the next summer season.
Some years ago my younger sister piqued in me a new interest of searching for heart shaped rocks and old beach glass. Her eyes had become trained to spot these treasures easily, and in time I too was able to focus in on them amidst the pebbles and boulders that border the seashore. Always a delightful find!
One can't take all the pretty shells and rocks from a beach, so with discernment you savor the smoothness of one with your fingers and delight in it's shape until you come across another which catches your attention and it becomes cradled in the palm of your hand while the former becomes hidden safely in a pocket or slips back to the rocky shore.  

A heart rock amongst treasures from the South China Sea

This collection from the Pacific Ocean
 have found homes here and there in my flower beds.
 I love the PRAISE rock surrounded by hearts
 to remind me of God's greatest commandment.
" Love the Lord your God with your whole heart; ( passion, prayer, and intelligence)
love him with all that's in you, love him with all you've got."
Deuteronomy 6:5
Matthew 22: 37

These two little hearts cradled in a clam shell bring to mind another favourite scripture.
"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you."
Psalm 119:11

A family keepsake shell from dear friends who were missionaries in the Philippines
makes my heart resonate with these words from Psalm 84:5 
"Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage."  

Tiny heart rocks from a new friend with the same passion!
"A cheerful heart brings a smile to your face; a sad heart makes it hard to get through the day."
Proverbs 15:13
Share a heart rock!!
A week ago I was beach-combing along the Caribbean Sea, where I discovered two heart rocks
 - just simple rocks, but they made my heart glad.

No comments: