Thursday, March 5, 2009

SPRING IS COMING


The herald of spring arrived in my neighbourhood yesterday. WOW, did that make my heart glad!  Senor Turdus Migratorious, or known to us Mr. American Robin, flew in with his clan from central Mexico. Now why he would leave that balmy country so early is beyond my understanding but the amazing thing is that God has hard-wired these red breasted friends to make this long journey north to welcome spring in with their 'cheerily cheer' song. The sun was shining brightly and had a touch of warmth to it when I met this flock on my walk and I eagerly retrieved my camera when I got home but to my dismay they have not landed on my lawn. I think they had heard the weather forecast as a few hours later the north wind blew in with a gust and our trusty weather man was predicting more snow. I cannot help but sing the little nursery rhyme every spring and the lyrics below express why the robins probably were circling near the barn next door.

(Image from Wikipedia)
"The North wind doth blow and we shall have snow,
And what will poor robin do then, poor thing?
He'll sit in a barn and keep himself warm
and hide his head under his wing, poor thing."


No comments: