Sunday, April 5, 2009

PALM SUNDAY

Over breakfast this morning I was listening To CBC's Sunday Choral Concert with a somber rendition of the "Seven Last Words From the Cross." My eye caught this shadow on the sun deck and I had to capture the moment. At this beginning of the Passion Week I hope God will give me many visual reminders of his amazing sacrificial love. 

"In the shadow of Your cross, I will live all my days.
How could I forget the price You paid.
In the shelter of Your love I will give You all my praise,
In the shadow of Your cross I will stay."
Song lyrics by Joel Engle

Typically on Palm Sunday palm branches are waved to remind us of Jesus triumphal  entry into Jerusalem. In places where palms are not native plants, some churches use yew or pussy willow branches. A little ride up our neighbourhood hills and I was able to gather this bouquet of springtime goodness.

The neighbour's pony was grazing near our garden and I thought of the humble colt that carried Jesus into the city of Jerusalem while the crowds burst into praise.
"Blessed is he who comes, 
the king in God's name!
All's well in heaven!
Glory in the high places!"
Luke 19:38
from THE MESSAGE

 An image from our visit to San Jose Mission 
San Antonio, Texas -  2004

Royalty
by Lucy Shaw

"He was a plain man
and learned no latin

Having left all gold behind
he dealt out peace
to all us wild men
and the weather

He ate fish, bread,
country wine and God's will

Dust sandalled his feet

He wore purple only once
and that was an irony"

No comments: