Tuesday, August 24, 2010

COMPLEX SIMPLICITY

Over the past week I have had time to reflect on and marvel at the complexity of the Nervous System as I am in the rehabilitation stage of my mending wing. With the cast off I feel vulnerable when I navigate a parking lot with curbs and speed bumps, always aware that I don't want to fall. And then there are 7 rambunctious grandkids in town who don't understand Gramma's limitations. In my daily routines it is incredibly difficult to push into pain and stretch joints that have been injured and immobile for the past six weeks. I have a new appreciation of my brain which is working hard to navigate message routes through my damaged tissues and waking up the cells to activate muscles to accomplish the most simple tasks.

"The human brain is the last, and greatest, scientific frontier. It is truly an internal cosmos that lies contained within our skulls. The more than 100 billion nerve cells and trillion supporting cells that make up your brain and mine constitute the most elaborate structure in the known universe."

Joel Davis


I have had pleasure in being able to cut a simple bouquet of posies and arrange some of my seaside treasures to brighten the house.



On Saturday I determined to bake something yummy for us and to share with our children who were celebrating an 11th anniversary. It took me all afternoon and it was worth all the effort and pain to create what normally would have been simple, but this Apple and Cream-filled Cinnamon Coffee Cake was a masterpiece.
Recipe from, http://mennonitegirlscancook.blogspot.com/

This past week I read a book titled "Explain Pain" by David Butler and Lorimer Moseley.
The content has been quite complex to understand but I gleaned a metaphor that I like. "Imagine an orchestra in your brain. It plays all kinds of harmonious melodies, then pain comes along and the different sections of the orchestra are reduced to a few pain tunes." "The aim is to teach the orchestra to play all the tunes again, to regain its creativity, curiosity and resilience."

My heart is glad and I give thanks to God my creator for his amazing design of my body with a complex brain to participate in and enjoy all the simple things He has made for my enjoyment and the simple things I can do to glorify Him.

"I praise you because
I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well."
Psalm 139:14

1 comment:

Bonnie Heather said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog Trudy. I have a few days off. Please let me know if I can do anything to help. Maybe I could come over and dust or vaccuum?