Thursday, October 21, 2010

LEISURE


As I think of my camera in the backpack of my best friend half way around the world, I am reminded of a day four years ago when I sat with some Grade 12 girls on the rooftop of the school at the Children's Home. They were studying this very poem, "Leisure", and it just so describes the pace of life in the little quaint village very close to their Home. It makes my heart glad to take time to cherish peaceful moments which often come when a photo opportunity interrupts my day.

LEISURE


What is this life if, full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare?—

No time to stand beneath the boughs,
And stare as long as sheep and cows:

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night:

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance:

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began?

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

W.H. Davies



1 comment:

Shelley said...

This one 'Beauty' is so sweet to watch. So good to be able to watch her feet dance and grow! I'm happy you had a day of leisure to slow down and look at life around you!