Friday, December 10, 2010

ADVENT THOUGHTS ON PEACE

In this second week of the Christmas Advent season my thoughts have been centered on PEACE. More than 2000 years ago at the birth of Jesus, angels proclaimed, "Peace on earth, goodwill to men," and yet all around us we hear and see conflict, chaos, strife, and stress. I like the words of the prophet Isaiah; "You (God) will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you." To me this is a quiet confidence in God, who knows all that is happening in and around us, and in the uncertainties of life He will give us a peace that transcends all human comprehension.

Peaceful moments and thoughts on peace have come this week as I have gazed upon my beautiful vista from my kitchen window from very early morning light to the sunset at evening.


The field below my window was mown very late in fall and with a snowfall it looked like a labyrinth which usually depicts a complicated pattern of paths in which it is difficult to find one's way. During Advent I like to move inward from the busyness that wants to trap us in this season to a place where I can experience intimacy with God as I try to unwrap the mystery of God's incarnation, His coming to Earth to make a WAY to peace with Him.

These maple leaves just don't want to fall off and I'm glad because they add a feeling of golden warmth in the morning sun.

Icicles dripping from a vapour trail made me think of the angels breaking through the sky proclaiming PEACE.

Afternoon shadows grow long over my peaceful vista.

AAH .... Sunsets always draw my thoughts to the fact that we are living in the Advent of the return of Jesus to reign in PEACE, in a new heaven and earth He is preparing for us.

“Glory to God in highest heaven,
and peace on earth to those with whom God is pleased.”
Luke 2:14



No comments: