Saturday, January 14, 2012

ALWAYS JOYFUL

We were driving through town yesterday when we came to a 4-way stop at one of the streets named Frohlich. Immediately my dear husband broke out in a little tune with just the words, Immer frohlich, immer frohlich, from a childhood Sunday School chorus. Not being outdone I carried on with several more lines but then was stuck. Oh well, it put a smile on our faces. Woke up this morning with that little tune on my mind again, and again after a couple of lines I was stuck. We laughed about the idea how as we get older we should expect to recall the past better than the present. Well, even without the second line of this chorus, it was a good  start to the day.



Coming downstairs to breakfast, the IPad was set up at my table place and guess what google had found for Wally ...............
      Immer Frohlich
Lasst die Herzen immer frohlich
und mit Dank erfullet sein.
Denn der Vater in dem Himmel
nennt uns Seine Kinderlein.

Immer frohlich, immer frohlich
alle Tage sonnenschein
Voller Schonheit ist der
weg des Lebens
frohlich lasst uns immer sein.

And so translated, Immer frohlich means ever joyful. Is that even possible? The little chorus is based on a Bible verse from Philippians 4:4: "Be full of joy always because you belong to the Lord. Again I say, be full of joy." Another verse in 1Thessalonians 5:16 says: " Rejoice always. Pray continually."
For me it is a deep seated peace in God who can help me see His goodness in situations that can be overwhelming. My heart is glad!

1 comment:

Frieda Wedel said...

I remember singing that song at church!