Wednesday, August 29, 2018

SUMMER SERIES: MY GARDEN AND BEYOND

As the daylight hours of summer slip away, the nights cool down, and vacations sadly over, I find myself musing over the few photos I took, and using a rainy day to post some random thoughts.



As small a plot I have to plant in I take delight in poking in and about my 'potty' garden

 The Bobo Hydrangea did not disappoint.


The Lace Cap Hydrangea vine is shown off with the brilliant Impatiens. Such an odd name for a flower that gets shoved in the dirt as a seedling and with hardly a worry or need for 'patience' as it blooms prolifically.

 The Rainbow Sherbet rose will bloom three times during this summer series.

Happy Dahlias attract busy bees.  

This Mourning Dove entertained us as she diligently gathered twigs to make a nest in the large Hawthorn tree behind our fence. Here she seems a little puzzled by the lack of response from the resident stone rabbit. 

Have loved my shade garden which has needed little attention but the joy of seeing it flourish. 

A specimen rock indeed, which grandson Mark found in Mission creek and gifted to me.

 A hanging basket of Snapdragons brought back memories of childhood fun as we would squeeze the blossoms to create a talking face. This one is upside down. Of more interest was watching the bees collect pollen as they would pull the face open and with their feet scrape the pollen into a little abdominal sac.  They should watch their backs!!

 How many times have I seen these endangered Painted Turtles at Gardom Lake and not see the unique designs on their bellies?


A blue Heron marches confidently along Mission creek.


A heart rock treasure planted in my flowerbed at the end of summer.
While camping at Kettle River Provincial I stood on the trestle bridge waiting for grandson Simon to jump into the river. Looking down I spied this rock and so Simon jumped and swam over under where I stood, dove down and swam to shore with this 5 pound weight. It will be treasured along with other heart rocks that my grandchildren occasionally find and know just who they want to give it to.  Thanks. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful photo album of summer's beauty
Catherine