Thursday, January 15, 2009

FOG BLOG

Gloomy, gray fog has rolled into our valley like an uninvited guest. There is little point drawing my opaque curtains as the visibility is restricted in either open or closed position.  This thick cloud of water droplets suspended over the Earth is not nearly as exciting as it's cousin called snow. I gazed with awe as those intricate frozen crystals drifted and tumbled from the sky, but now I peer into this warmer myopic blurriness, waiting for the veil to lift, to gladden my spirit.   

I wonder what the beginning of time looked like.
The Message reads in Genesis 1:2 that " Earth was a soup of nothingness, a bottomless emptiness ... God's spirit brooded like a bird above the watery abyss."

A bad fog is referred as 'pea-soup fog', obscuring everything beyond it's borders.
At least I know what is in and past this suspended mist today as I have seen and experienced it in the light. I have hope for sunny skies that will once again reveal the beauty of my daily vista.
I miss seeing the hills which remind me of where my help comes from ... the Lord, the maker of Heaven and Earth.

My church community is doing a 6 month marathon study of the book of Revelation.
It is a story of imagery and mystery and sometimes seems foggy in interpretation and understanding. I am excited to discover and be surprised by the hope contained in this book.

So it seems to me that God's story began and will continue with some obscurity like this winter's fog. But through my spiritual journey I am encouraged with the words from I Corinthians 13:
"We don't yet see things clearly. We're squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won't be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We'll see it all then, see it as clearly as God sees us, knowing Him directly as he knows us. But for right now, until that completeness, we have three things to do to lead us toward that consummation:
Trust steadily in God,
Hope unswervingly,
Love extravagantly.
And the best of the three is love."

No comments: