Friday, September 11, 2009

ROAD TRIP - HOMEWORD BOUND

"The Lord is my rock, my FORTRESS, and my Saviour;
my God is my rock, in whom I find protection.
He is my shield, the power that saves me
and my place of safety."
Psalm 27:1



The song, ' A Mighty Fortress is My God' ran through my head over and over as all the majestic mountains that looked like fortresses seemed to be my focus on this road trip. Usually when we are homeward bound we hone in to the hills and make a beeline for our valley, but this time we bought a national park pass to enjoy some of the spectacular beauty found only as one diverts from the main highway.

Traveling high above the highway through Yoho National Park, over 13 Km of winding road, around two steep switch backs, we were rewarded with the spectacular Takakkaw Falls, one of Western Canada's highest waterfalls. A picnic area and pathways into the falls mist provided views that reinforce the Cree meaning of Takakkaw - " it is magnificent"

I always seem to spot a lone posy,
that just made my heart glad!


Another sideline off the highway to Emerald lake, a romantic setting amongst towering mountain peaks. We had hoped to walk the 5 Km perimeter trail but it was raining and we had already been caught in a thunderstorm on a hike to the rusted remains of a locomotive used in the building of the amazing spiral tunnels through Kicking Horse Pass. We had waited patiently at a road stop viewpoint with many other tourists, many foreigners, to witness the long train snaking it's way around the mountain into one tunnel and out another. The history of the building of these two spiral tunnels is quite phenomenal.

Beauty along the bridge at Emerald Lake

This glistening, red mushroom jumped to my attention as with my head down to a narrow trail of rocks and roots, I was huffing and puffing to complete the hike to the railway ruins in half time, as thunder and lightning brought on a drenching rain storm. Once again I was reminded of the words from the Psalms that speak of God's safety, for as we hiked this soggy path, the storm was reeking havoc along the highway leading home. Over and over we saw large trees snapped off, some having been cleared off the road before us. God also protected us as motorists drove like demons, passing cars in the most dangerous situations. I never take God's protection for granted, but I always pray for it and thanked Him for his goodness and mercy as a day of travel ended and the little lights on our driveway welcomed us home.


No comments: