Friday, December 24, 2010

O RADIANT ONE

"Silent night, holy night
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon Virgin Mother and Child
Holy Infant so tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace
Sleep in heavenly peace

Silent night, holy night!
Shepherds quake at the sight
Glories stream from heaven afar
Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia!
Christ, the Saviour is born
Christ, the Saviour is born

Silent night, holy night
Son of God, love's pure light
Radiant beams from Thy holy face
With the dawn of redeeming grace
Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth
Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth "


Amaryllis - Apple blossom

I received the gift of an amaryllis bulb a month ago and it has been with anticipation that I have seen it grow before my eyes and burst into five blooms to become my Christmas flower. The little Poinsettia that I bought a few weeks ago has already withered so I am delighted to enjoy this gorgeous plant.

Amaryllis means radiant beauty - the kind that emanates from an inner source and flowers outward. It struck me that the name Mary is part of Amaryllis and part of the nativity story is Mary's Magnificat, a song of praise that radiated from within her in response to the miraculous conception of our Saviour.


Mary's Song

“My soul glorifies the Lord
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has been mindful
of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
holy is his name.
His mercy extends to those who fear him,
from generation to generation."

Luke 1:46 - 50

1 comment:

heidi said...

thanks Trudy, I love the magnificant, it's one of the most beautiful things in the Bible, I also love Simeon's words as he rejoices because he has seen his Saviour. love the poppycock, Merry Christmas, hope Shelley and family arrived safely.